Landlords have to take into account many things when their house is for rent. Providing essential appliances can be an excellent way of attracting tenants to your property, as many interested parties expect the apartment to come well-equipped before renting. That’s why you might wonder what electrical appliances you should provide in the lease. In this article, we will discuss the different types electrical appliances properties should include, based on characteristics, profitability, and tenants needs.. Let’s dive in!
Essential appliances that you need
The refrigerator is an essential appliance that cannot be missed from your rental property. Keep in mind that a fridge usually has a lifespan of 12 years, so if it is in bad condition, here are some tips for buying a new one:
- Model: There are single-door models, double door options, or even the combi units which includes both refrigeration and freezing areas.
- Storage: Depending on the apartment’s occupancy capacity, it is better to choose one fridge size over another. For example: 150L is sufficient for one person; for two or three people between 150L and 250L would be better, and for more than 4 people between 250L and 500L is best.
- Technology: We recommend that you opt for a fridge with a no-frost system, to prevent frost build up. Additionally, this way you won’t need to defrost the appliance as frequently.
If your fridge is still in good condition, ensure it has a maintenance check before the tenants arrive.
Similar to refrigerators, there are various freezer models: cabinet type, chest, or the type that is integrated with the fridge. For a tourist apartment, a fridge-freezer combo should suffice. However, if you have a long-term stay, it is advisable to have a separate freezer.
When buying a new one, in addition to the advantages of the no-frost technology, we recommend investing in the super-isolation and super-freezing features. Both functions save electricity, time and provide more energy conservation.
Oven and Microwave
Both an oven and microwave have become essential appliances in our daily routine. While an oven may be considered optional, a microwave can be handy for guests in various situations.
An oven can last up to 13 years with proper maintenance. While a microwave usually has a lifespan of 9 years. For added convenience, make sure to include ovenware and a grill rack for the microwave.
If your apartment’s kitchen isn’t too spacious, you can opt for a combo unit, which combines the functionalities of a microwave and a conventional oven.
The last thing you want when you are on your holidays is to spend hours washing up. That’s why it’s essential that your property has a dishwasher. These electrical appliances typically last for 11 years and use approximately 6% of the total electricity.
Similar to other appliances, there are many eco-friendly options that can enhance your apartment, and improve your tenants’ quality of life.
Although the weather in Barcelona is usually pleasant for the majority of the year, having air conditioning ensures that your apartment maintains an adequate temperature during the summer and winter. You can choose from two types:
- Exterior: A compressor or outdoor unit can be placed on the front of the property, terrace, or balcony. You will need to have a drain to remove the condensed water, and you may also need authorisation from the relevant authorities.
- Interior: Split-type air conditioners are ideal for independently controlling the temperature of interior spaces.
The key to choosing the perfect air conditioning is: considering the area that you would like to be air conditioned, room orientation, and the apartment’s isolation. Also, if you don’t want to use this equipment incorrectly, we recommend reading our article on preventing dampness at home.
Another essential appliance that you need in your apartment is a washing machine. These appliances usually have a lifespan of 10 years, and their energy consumption depends on the water temperature and selected cycles. For instance, washing with hot water costs almost 80% more than using cold water.
If you don’t already have one, including a washing machine might be the added value that your next guest is seeking!
If you are renting a property, it is advisable, in addition to the previously mentioned appliances,to provide smaller utensils such as a vacuum, coffee machine, toaster and blender. All of these will increase the value of your listing and put you above your competitors!
Which are the most efficient appliances?
Since March 2021, the Energy Classification Model has been updated to make it easier to understand. In the following table, we detail the new energy scale so that you can buy the most efficient appliances:
As you can see, according to the table the best options in terms of energy consumption are those labelled A, B, or C. If you want to know more tips to reduce the energy cost in your apartment, read our blog about it!
Considerations before buying any appliance
- Research your options: Once you know the type of appliance you need, you can search the market for available models and prices. Consider the size, the features and energy efficiency. This way, you can find the appliance that best suits your needs and budget.
- Check the installation requirements: Some appliances require professional installation, which can be expensive. Others are easier to install by yourself. Make sure that you check installation requirements before making any purchases.
Choose quality brands: You can be tempted to choose the cheapest option, but buying bad quality appliances can result in false savings. Look for brands with a better reputation and higher quality.
Who should pay to repair an appliance in a lease?
You might have another question about who should pay for appliance repairs, if it’s the landlord or the property owner. Well, according to Article 21 of the Urban Leases Law (LAU), the property owner is obliged to carry out necessary improvements to maintain the condition of the building, with the only exception being if the damage was caused by the tenant.
Now that you have all of the information about essential appliances for renting a property, all that’s left is to entrust an expert agency with managing your property. Contact our team now and let us take care of it all!