When renting an apartment, you may ask yourself if it is better to furnish or not. In fact, this decision directly influences the type of tenants you are going to attract. In the following article, we will tell you about the different advantages and disadvantages of renting a home with or without furniture.
A furnished property
A furnished property refers to those apartments that have practically everything necessary and basic for the tenant to settle in immediately, with nothing more than clothes and other personal belongings with them.
The pieces of furniture you should have are:
- Washing machine
- Dining table and chairs
- Bed with mattress
Leaving the property furnished does not mean that the apartment has to look like a storage room! You have to leave the property in good condition, and the furniture must not seem old or worn. Also, it is better to take the photos without personal belongings, in order to give it a neutral touch.
Advantages of renting with furniture
- Leaving the property full of furniture means that the tenant can move in at the drop of a hat.
- The good thing is also that it usually attracts tenants who are going to stay for a somewhat long period, such as students or employees who travel for work.
- The monthly rent may be higher
Disadvantages of renting with furniture
- One of the most important drawbacks is that you will have to assume the cost of damage to your furniture. Either through the passage of time or the wear and tear of the tenants. Therefore, we advise you to opt for higher quality furniture and appliances. In addition, having homeowners rental insurance will prevent future problems.
- If the furniture in question is old, potential visitors might be put off, meaning your property may take longer to rent.
An unfurnished property
What does have to be taken into account in unfurnished properties are the basic kitchen appliances.
Most people looking for unfurnished apartments are also those who expect to stay in the house for a long time, since they may decide to move their furniture to the new apartment.
Hence, conditions such as the location of the home, nearby services, if it has facilities such as air conditioning and heating are important…
Advantages of renting without furniture
- You will not have to pay for any repairs to worn or damaged furniture, nor will you keep it once the tenant is gone, therefore, fewer worries.
- The cost of having rental insurance is reduced, by not including the clause on internal content of the property.
- As it is not rented with furniture, the initial deposit may be lower, helping it be marketed more quickly, as the tenant will not have to pay as much money up front.
Disadvantages of renting without furniture
- The market window is narrower, since fewer and fewer people intend to invest in furnishing a rental apartment.
- The tenant can ask that basic objects or furniture be removed so that he can put his own. Therefore, at the time of moving, damage to the home may occur, and it may be inconvenient to have to move furniture that you had not planned to originally.
What is better for rent? Furnished or unfurnished?
It is true that, for example, furnished homes have a higher value (almost more than 5%), and today they have more marketing power.
However, as we have said, both options attract different profiles of tenants, so as owners it is up to you to choose and decide which type of tenants best suits your preferences. There are tenants and apartments for all tastes!